I’ve been practising acupuncture for a number of years now and by far my most favourite treatment method is ear acupuncture. Auricular (ear) Acupuncture is a specialised form of acupuncture where the ear is said to represent a microsystem of the body. By treating the points on the ears I can help treat lots of different physical and emotional conditions. There are hundreds of acupuncture points on each ear and needling specific points can help alleviate symptoms associated with stress, anxiety, pain and addictions – for example drug and alcohol addiction. You’ll often find me out in the community working with employers and businesses keen to support the health and well-being of staff as well as working with a variety of support and recovery groups.
Based on the principles of traditional Chinese Medicine and also incorporating elements of Western Auriculotherapy, the treatment has also been used to successfully help with the detoxification process, helping reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms such as depression, insomnia, agitation and anxiety and promote deep relaxation. As well as the use of small, very fine specialised, disposable needles, small magnets and seeds are also used which are worn between treatments to support the healing process. The treatment is easy, quick and effective – very often dramatic results are achieved in just one treatment session, and free from side effects!
Here are some of the ways this treatment can help:
- Calms the heart and mind
- Reduces hyperactivity
- Reduces inflammation
- Regulates and strengthens kidney and adrenal function
- Regulates and facilitates lung function and relaxes the chest
- Regulates the functioning of the heart and circulation of blood
- Regulates the activity of the sympathetic nervous system (that’s the one that helps you cope with stressful situations)
- Relaxes spasms of internal organs and can alleviate pain
- Regulates skin function and sweat glands
- Promotes excretion of urine and toxins
What does this mean for you? Well, here are just some of the conditions where auricular acupuncture has been shown to be effective and can help:
- manage withdrawals and cravings from drugs and alcohol
- stress and anxiety management – helps create a calm, positive and balanced outlook
- reduces symptoms such as fear and panic.
- arthritic conditions
- joint pain
- back pain
- neck and shoulder pain
- toothache and TMJ pain
- and much more.
Ear acupuncture can be used in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of many disorders and has been used to treat more than 200 disorders.
Auricular Acupuncture is a fantastic therapy and I have seen amazing results being achieved – even with chronic conditions – in relatively short time periods – often in just one session. As well as helping with stress, pain and addictions, auricular acupuncture can also help support those wanting to stop smoking and lose weight.